July 9, 2010

An oldie, but a greatie! I absolutely adore this movie and it's one of my (few) favorite Spielberg films. And what's funny is when I was five, I was so scared by this movie that by the time the T-rex chomps down on the lawyer, I had run from the room not to return until it was over. But as an adult, I love it. I even read the book in 8th grade and it has so much about genetics that by the time I got into Biology in High School, I had a step up in the class (first and only time ever!).

What I love so much about this movie is that it is a huge turning point in the difference between "old" film and the new CGI age. At the time, it was not possible to do a completely convincing CGI dinosaur film, but the total use of puppets was just not something Spielberg was interested in. So, this film blends them both. And perfectly, I might add. I could go through the film and point out what is a puppet and what is not (even more amazingly what the actors are actually seeing and what they aren't) and if you are a shrewd film watcher, you might be able to figure it out, but really, why bother? It still looks so fantastic!

I must say that I end up quoting this movie easily on a weekly basis. 90% of them delivered by the absolutely amazing Jeff Goldblum, this man can do no wrong in my eyes, ever. Here are some of my all-time favorites.

[Amusing how often this comes to my mind.]
Dr. Ian Malcolm: God help us; we're in the hands of engineers.

[I say this with a ridiculous frequency, or at least think it with ridiculous frequency...]
Ray Arnold: Hold on to your butts.

[Whenever I speak computer nerd this line comes to mind...]
Lex: I'm a hacker!
Tim: That's what I said: you're a nerd.
Lex: I am not a computer nerd. I prefer to be called a hacker!

Henry Wu: You're implying that a group composed entirely of female animals will... breed?
Dr. Ian Malcolm: No, I'm simply saying that life, uh... finds a way.

[why did he not win an Oscar for this line?]
Dr. Ian Malcolm: I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here: it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility... for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could and before you even knew what you had you patented it and packaged it and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you're selling it, you want to sell it!

[I really want this on a shirt I love it so much.]
Dr. Ian Malcolm: God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs...
Dr. Ellie Sattler: Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits the earth...

Muldoon: Clever girl.

Dr. Ian Malcolm: If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, expands to new territory, and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously.

Okay, I realize this has been mainly quotes. Oops. Oh well, this film perfectly blends action, science and humor in one terrifying blend.
Need a movie for the kids on the same theme? Don't do what my parents did to me, get Land Before Time. That's for the kiddos.

First, I have to give a little shout out to this site (non-craft shirt, but very cool). If anyone wants to bribe for any reason, let it be known...
Snorgtees.com




















Mini Raptor Earrings
How freaking cute are these??
Dinotopia Necklace
Wear your dino pride loud and proud.
T Rex Lollipops
Now you can take a bite out of them!
Jurassic Amber Soap w/ Insect
So simple and yet so clever.
GiantEye.etsy.compannikin.etsy.comSweetLollipopShop.etsy.comamandalouise.etsy.com




















Thunder the Brontosaurus Dinosaur
So adorable!
Mommy's Little Velociraptor T-shirt
If I had a small child...
Jurassic Park Sketch Card
Love it!
Kirigami Jurassic Bobblehead Pop-up Card Series
Scare people when they open your cards.
woobiNwawa.etsy.com
babywood.etsy.com
dannylimor.etsy.com
popupcardmaking.etsy.com


FYI!! I apologize for the spread-out-ness. Apparently Blogger does not like tables. *eyeroll*